Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Concha y Toro 2000 Sunrise Cabernet Sauvignon (Chile)

The reason I am showing you the label of the bottle (at left) is not because this was such a super fantastic wine that you have to run out and buy yourself a bottle; it's because sometimes looks can be deceiving and price, a misnomer of quality. I bought this wine several years ago, the current vintage goes for about $10 at the LCBO and probably about $3 in the rest of the world, but I digress. Yesterday I mentioned that I have this "lost" bottle on my wine racks and was bound and determined to open it, with little hope of actually being able to drink it (note the vintage year). Again, I am not saying this was not the best bottle of wine I've ever had, but I was surprise at how well it had held up. Very little sign of bricking around the rim, smells were dark fruited while the taste was non-descript with black-fruit and a faint hint of tannins in there holding the whole thing up. What's more, over the course of the hour or so it took to consume the bottle, the tastes never faded or wained - it stayed pretty much the same. I was impressed, all hail the cheap-o wines.

No comments: