Sunday, October 26, 2008

Albert Bichot 2006 Beaujolais-Villages (France)

In typical French wine style this wine has no back label, but I have a story to tell about how it finally got to my table. Way back when I went to an Albert Bichot dinner and tasting (May 22, 2008), this wine turned out to be one of my favourites of the evening and so, Dean Tudor (fellow wine writer) and I decided to split a case. We were told that it was a private order wine and might take some time to land on our shores - we thought it was a good enough wine to wait, and at $15.95 a bottle, a steal for the quality therein. Well I finally got the wine on Friday (October 24, 2008) a little over five months to the day that I ordered it. In truth I couldn't remember what it tasted like, so I decided to open one tonight and see (and taste) whether it was worth the wait ... I am happy to report it was. Beautiful bright nose of ripe fresh cherries and a palate to match - yummy. I had it with meatloaf and salad, but as far as I'm concerned it would have gone with just about anything ... 5 months may seem a long time to wait, and it was, but when a wine is this delicious, it's well worth it.

No comments: