Monday, October 6, 2008

Canyon Oaks 2006 Zinfandel (California)

With a plugged nose from a cold I picked up sometime in the past week (probably on my plane ride back from Italy) - I decided that tonight I needed something with umph!, somthing with enough power to cut through the blockage ... something I could smell. Hence, a 2006 California Zinfandel - a wine of some power and big aromatics. The term "aromatics" is usually reserved for white wines, but if you've ever smelled a young Zin you'll know what I'm talking about. Big plum and sweet cherry along with a rum and cherry-cola note, there's also vanilla and sweet blackberries - Zin just smells like Zin. As for the palate, well the plums, cherries, blackberries and cola bean comes through, along with sweet vanilla and a touch of that aforementioned rum. I love Zinfandel, it just has such a signature smell and taste, which comes through even when a cold should have you down and out; plus with the usually big alcohols in these wines, if you drink enough it'll knock you out for a good night's sleep - no need for NyQuil (this one's only 13.5%, so more consumption is the answer).

No comments: