Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Beronia 2001 Tempranillo Crianza (Spain)

After the horrid Monterra incident I went further back into the cellar looking for something that would not only catch my eye but make things better. Out of the corner of my eye I saw it, with its red and gray capsule that stood out from all the other bottles. I grabbed it and brought it over to where the sad bottle of Monterra stood. "Here's hoping for better," I said as I plunged the corkscrew into the real-cork cork. Now that was more of what I was looking for: cinnamon, spice and blackberry greeted the nose while in the mouth it was loaded with beautiful spiced-plum flavours. The combination of acidity (that was still quite vibrant) and fruit (which still retained a fair amount of juiciness) had the ability to both quench a thirst and make the mouth water. That's more like it.

No comments: