Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Antinori 2000 Santa Cristina (Italy)

My first question, when I found this wine in my wine cellar, was when on earth did I happen upon a bottle of Antinori wine ... this producers brings us some of the best Italian wines on the market, and some of the most expensive and sought after (ie: Tignanello, Pian delle Vigne, etc.); my other question, of course, was how was this wine going to show - knowing Antinori's reputation I was hoping well. The nose at first was all dried fruit and dried herbs, then it slowly started to show more, with typical old wine smells: forest floor, dried leaves, mocha, leather, tobacco and even a touch pruny. The palate showed old wine characteristics as well: dried cherries and herbs, tobacco and a very dry finish. A blend of 90% Sangiovese and 10% Merlot that was in oak only four months and obviously bottled unfiltered (due to the bits of sediment I found) - I have to admit I really enjoyed this wine and see why Antinori's reputation is what it is - I would have bought this wine for under $15 and it was well worth every penny, now 9 years from vintage date.

No comments: