Thursday, August 20, 2009

Gemtree 2007 Uncit Shiraz - Mitolo 2007 Jester Shiraz (Australia)

Tonight it's a battle of Shiraz in my living room. These half-empty-bottles were offered to me as I was leaving the Australia tasting on August 18. Knowing that I wasn't going to get a chance to drink them for a few days, and because they were already open, I decided my best course of action was to put them in my very cold beer fridge to arrest their development. Finally that day came and here we are. I pulled them out of the fridge, allowed them to come to room temperature and began tasting. The Mitolo had generous blackberries and chocolate - much better then what I remember tasting at the Australia show; much more approachable, very rich and jammy - almost decadent. The Gemtree had also changed. The Uncut Shiraz is made from 40 year old vines spo you can taste the minerality right from the first glass. A few days later the minerality really comes thruough on the palate once again, but this time the wine is soft and supple - I also found pepper, spice and blackfruit galore, but it's the mineral quality that really shows on this wine. Both wines ended up to be very yummy, though I think I lean towards the Gemtree Uncut - I just love that minerality mixed with spice ... on the other hand I know my mom would dig the Mitolo's smooth chocolate across on the tongue ... and as they say, to each their own.

No comments: