Thursday, September 10, 2009

Botalcura 2004 El Delirio Reserve Syrah/Malbec (Chile)

I picked this bottle out bright and early this morning. I was walking by my wine racks and a silver capsule caught my eye, it was there and then that I decided this bottle was it. So about 12 hours later I sunk the corkscrew into the bottle and unleashed the 2-inch cork (almost broke the sucker). At first the nose was earthy and brambly with sweet black fruit hiding below the under-brush, there was also hints of wet moss (which thankfully soon blew off) along with floral and vanilla aromas. Flavours were slightly harsh at first, but I did a little decanting with a thing called a Vinturi, which seemed to have a smoothing effect and helped the nose to come out from behind the trees and leaves ... juicy blackberry, cassis, white pepper and nice spice on the palate made this wine thoroughly enjoyable and lots of fun; by the final sip I had forgotten all about it's rough beginnings.

No comments: