Thursday, October 22, 2009

Alianca 2006 Particular (Portugal)

When people ask me about "up and coming" wine regions I usually mention two places: Spain and Portugal. These regions are not exactly the new kids on the block, but the wines they make are consistently good, and represent good value. Now most people would argue that Argentina is the next up'n'comer, but reality is that Argentina is the here and now, which means some other country has to step into that rising star role; that's why I predict Portugal is poised to jump into that spot. So it came as no surprise when I opened this bargain of a bottle ($13.95) as to how good it was. Sweet black fruit, licorice, ripe cherry and plum grip the nose and lured me in. The palate, with its ripe red fruit sweetness, black licorice and vanilla oak on the finish was very appealing. Very appealing, very fresh and very good, that's the formula for up 'n' comer status.

No comments: