Thursday, October 8, 2009

E. Guigal 2005 Cotes du Rhone (France)

Kick me in the socks and call me Larry ... for about 2 years now the folks at Vinexx (who are the agents that bring this wine into Ontario) have been telling me to watch out for this wine - "it delivers far beyond its price point," a gentleman by the name of Steve told me. Each time I went into the LCBO I looked for this wine and was disappointed to see the 2004 (in itself a good wine, but "no comparison to the '05", or so I was told) still o the shelves. Today I finally found a bottle, seems it is now making its way through the system. The nose is red fruited with lots of pepper and black raspberry. Made from a blend of Syrah, Grenache and Mouvedre this wine is all that is was touted as being, and more. The palate is powerful with lots of red fruit and peppery-spicy notes and lots of flavour ... a wine was worth the wait. Now if you'll excuse me, I'm off to enjoy it.

No comments: