Thursday, October 29, 2009

Glass Mountain 2003 Cabernet Sauvignon (California)

When I bought this wine in 2007 it was a lovely little wine with lots of red fruit on the nose and taste (according to my notes of January 3, 2007), it also cost me a whopping $14.95. Well two and a half years later red fruit has turned pruney with dried fruit and licorice notes being most prominent. On the palate the fresh red fruit has become licorice and dried black fruit oriented ... there was nothing fresh about this wine whatsoever. I also noted an oxidative quality in the wine and that the wine was sealed with a plastic cork. My problem is not with the plastic cork (though that is definitely a problem) it's that when you lie a wine down there is no indication as to the closure under the neck's capsule. It would be nice if winemakers would make mention somewhere on the label so that consumers would know the wine was not meant to lie down for any length of time, I have fallen into this plastic trap once too often for my liking.

No comments: