Monday, October 12, 2009

Tarapaca 2004 Cabernet Sauvignon (Chile)

On the Canadian Thanksgiving I decided to head down to Chile for a taste of a 5-year-old Cabernet Sauvignon. This bottle has been staring at me from my sideboard for a few weeks now, ever since I took it out of one of my 'aging boxes'. At first I had trouble removing the cork because of its length, but I finally got it out in one piece by digging the helix of the corkscrew in a little deeper. Once opened I offered the first little bit to Bacchus by pouring off the first half inch ... then into the glass it went. Smells were minty, blackberry, cassis and quite spicy. The flavours were similar with black fruit and mint, but this was not one of those juicy, jammy Chilean offerings, instead it offered up more spicy character, and over the 45 minutes that it was open (and there was wine in the bottle) the fruit dropped off leaving much spice behind.

No comments: