Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Vina Ventisquero 2007 Root:1 Cabernet Sauvignon (Chile)

Tonight, I opened another bottle I picked up in the States. This wine intrigued me because it is called Root:1 and its claim is that the Cabernet Sauvignon grapes that make up this wine are from ungrafted rootstock (which means they are original European vines). The front label goes on to explain why these vines are so unique and why Chile is such a unique place. I'll let you go out and find a bottle to get the whole story, but suffice it to say I was interested in trying the wine. The nose has some beautiful black fruit on it, cassis and currants with juicy blackberries taking a lead role. The palate is juicy and smooth with lovely black fruit and hints of pepper and spice. I'd have to say that the nuances of the original European rootstock alludes me, for the simple fact that I have never tried wines made from ungrafted grapes until now, so I have no idea what I would be looking for in a pre-phylloxera wine. I do know this is one juicy and delicious wine, and well worth the ten bucks I paid for it.

No comments: