Friday, February 12, 2010

Sumac Ridge 2005 Black Sage Vineyard Cabernet Franc (British Columbia)

The Olympics start tonight in Vancouver, and last night I found myself with a less than Gold medal wine from British Columbia. I promised myself I would go back and try another wine from Canada's West Coast, and here I am, sipping on a tasty, spicy number from Sumac Ridge. The wine is smoky and toasty with black fruit, barrel notes and an herbal quality. The palate has a lot of that smokiness with some tobacco, pencil shavings and pepper leading the charge. I've poured the wine into my Cru Classic Schott Zwiesel glass (nice Bordeaux red glass - big bowl), but I am also apt to decant to see what other aromas and flavours will come out of this. I pour the wine through my handy-dandy Vinturi and here's what happened: Nose stays relatively the same while the tannins on the palate have smoothed out a wee bit, leaving white pepper, black raspberry and toasty cedar. I think tomorrow I'll check out the Merlot.

No comments: