Saturday, March 27, 2010

Concha Y Toro 2008 Trio Reserva - Chardonnay (Chile)

I was jonesing for a little white wine this afternoon and this is what I had kicking around in the fridge.  Now calling this wine a Chardonnay is like calling Tiger Woods "a guy who had an affair", because it is so much more than a simple Chardonnay, and Tiger did so much more than have "an affair".  The Trio in the title refers to the three grapes that go into this wine: Chardonnay, Pinot Grigio and Pinot Blanc - not a combination that usually crosses your lips unless you are telling people, at a party, their choices of white wines being poured; but this wine successfully brings all three of these grapes together.  The nose is recognizable as Chardonnay with telltale apple, pineapple and vanilla notes.  The palate doesn't follow 100% along, yes there is a little tropical pineapple there but there's also some lemony freshness (Pinot Grigio influenced) and a touch of something fresh and pear-like, light and refreshing (Pinot Blanc's influence), when you expect a little more heaviness to cross your palate.  Together it's a taste sensation like no other, and one you'll keep sipping on to get more and more flavours out of - at least that's what I did.  Later on I think I'll have an Zinfandel with my beef stew, so I'll catch you up later.

No comments: