Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Eshkol Winery 2003 Cabernet Sauvignon (South Africa)

Okay, last kosher wine of the season, though it seemed only fitting with Passover and Easter crossing paths that I should take a few sips on a kosher wine or two.  This one is from the Paarl region of South Africa, and I have to admit I was a little skeptical of it:  I do not think I have tried a kosher wine this old.  The back of the bottle said that it would age well for 5-10 years, but still found myself ready to flush this one down the toilet.  After tasting it I have to say I am rightfully impressed with this bottle of wine - black fruit, smoky, a touch of that tell-tale South African tar in the back palate, hints of vanilla wood with just a titch of smoked-butterscotch.  As it sat in the glass it improved, less tar, more fruit.  Very nice.


No comments: