Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Terres d'Avignon 2007 Domaine de la Croisette (France)

I am deep in the throes of trying to buy my first house.  For those who have been there they will be able to relate to this next statement:  it really is an event in one's life that causes all kinds of maladies: ulcers, acid reflux, shooting pains in your extremities, headaches, nausea, irritable bowel, you get the picture, it's a roller coaster ride until you sign on the dotted line.  So during these times, at the end of the day, a glass of wine is almost a must.  Tonight I pulled out a bottle of this Cote Du Rhone blend of Grenache and Syrah.  The label is entirely in French, but from the gist of it I get the idea that I have an award winning wine (bronze) in my hand that has "grande complexity aromatique"; even my broken french can figure that one out.  Lots of lovely dark fruit here with hints of spice and a bit of woodiness.  Those aromas translated into flavours on the palate and the wine glided smoothly across the tongue, allowing me to forget the worries of the day, for a little while ... even better, this bottle cost me only $14 for that kind of relaxation and enjoyment - and seeing as I am going to be a home owner (keep your fingers crossed), with a mortgage to pay, that's the price of wine that I will be able to afford.

No comments: