Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Domaine Boudau 2008 Le CLos (France)

Tonight I pulled out a bottle I bought a few weeks ago, this one from the South of France, where the sun is warm and the grapes develop lots of sugar, and alcohol (15%).  This is a blend of Grenache and Syrah (80-20) that is just so juicy it borders on succulent, if it weren't for the fine tannins keeping everything in check it would be one to just suck back.  There's spiced plum and cherries on the nose while the palate has juicy blackberry and cherry with hints of vanilla and spice.  The fruit fills the mouth and it's only on the back palate where the spice, pepper and tannins appear.  This one is going to be dangerous because it demands to be gulped, not sipped, but that alcohol demands sipping - see the dilemma I am faced with.  I'm going to have to go and sort this one out myself with a roast beef dinner ... wish me luck.

No comments: