Friday, June 11, 2010

Ayama, Good Hope, Cono Sur and Roederer (South Africa / Chile / California)

Friends bring with them good time, good cheer and an escape from the busyness of getting a new house ready.  This was the first time we had friends over in the evening at the new place, some have come over during the daytime, but tonight it was an evening visit … we even bought some extra outdoor chairs for the occasion.  I kicked the evening off with my last bottle of the old standby Cono Sur 2009 Viognier.  I bought three bottles less than a month ago and now they are all gone.  You’ve heard me tell you about it enough so I will move on, but dang it is an easy sipper for the hot days ahead.  Next up a bottle of 2009 Pinot Noir from The Winery of Good Hope in South Africa.  Smooth and yummy – wish I could tell you more but I went down so easy.  Then there was a bottle of 2006 Cabernet Sauvignon from Slent Farms called Ayama.  This is an unoaked version yet shows lots of complexity and drinkability – fruit, spice and tannins make up the biggest portion of what you be feeling in the mouth.  This wine still has plenty of presence on the palate for a 4-year-old unoaked wine.  Finally, friends bought over a little toasting wine:  Roederer Estate Anderson Valley Brut, a California sparkling from the French house of Roederer.  All I can say here is ‘cheers to tasty wines’.


 

No comments: