Sunday, August 15, 2010

Vina Cobos Chardonnay and Tarapaca Carmenere (Argentina / Chile)

The new house is starting to feel like home, the wine room is almost done and the furniture is here.  Yesterday I stained the deck and built the BBQ - that took up most of the day.  By the time I made my way indoors a beer was the thing to have (Rickard's Dark - tasted oh so good and went down quick).  But today was a different story.  Mid-way through the afternoon I wanted a nice white, I found a Vina Cobos 2009 Felino Chardonnay, I had about a glass and a half and with each sip I became more and more disillusioned with this wine:  fat and flabby, everything you don't like in Chardonnay - think I'm turned off of Chard ... for a few weeks anyway.  

This evening I decided to stay in South America, move a little west and head over to Chile for a Tarapaca 2006 Carmenere.  Now this is a delicious wine with mint, black currant and blackberry on the nose, this follows on the palate with some good acidity and a light bite from the tannins.  I would have liked a longer finish, but beggars can't be choosers.  Out of the two wines I loved the Carmenere, and was not a fan of the Chardonnay - sorry Cobos.


No comments: