Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Wolf Blass 2008 Yellow Label Shiraz (Australia)

I'm not sure what is going on in the world of Blass but I am not sure I am liking it all that much.  Tonight I taught a class on the wines of Australia, pouring a straight Shiraz (Lucky Country), a Shiraz-Viognier (Yalumba) and a Cab/Merlot/Shiraz blend (Yering) ... this got me hankering for one of the icons of Aussie wine, Wolf Blass - its Yellow Label was once the epitome of Australian wine.  When I arrived home I cracked the cap and found myself drinking a nondescript Shiraz ... Wolf Blass used to have character but this could have been any one of a hundred Shirazes that I have tried over the years.  Don't get me wrong, it was tasty, easy to drink and had lots of fruit - but I think I have come to expect more when I open a bottle of Blass - this just did not deliver.

No comments: