Monday, January 3, 2011

Aramis Vineyards 2003 Leeroy Reserve Cabernet Sauvigon / Shiraz (Australia)

Tonight, I blindly yanked a bottle out of a case of aging wines and found in my hand this bottle of 2003 Cabernet Shiraz.  At first the nose was closed and almost vile, so I decided that maybe a little decanting could help ... and it did.  A violent decanting (turning the bottle upside down and pouring quickly into the decanter) livened this sucker up, aromas of smoky blackberry and cassis were followed by spiced-vanilla, some cinnamon and a little chocolate.  The nose was slightly more inviting and open than the taste which produced toasted black cherry and a little pepper on the tongue.  Not a bad wine for one that is 7 years old, maybe a little more time or a second decanting would have helped.  I think I still have another bottle, maybe next time I'll try that.

No comments: