Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Scott Harvey 2005 Syrah - Mountain Selection (California)

About a year and a half ago I met Scott Harvey and had the chance to taste 14 of his wines, of which this was one of my favourites.  I bought a bottle or two and tonight I thought it would be interesting to see how the wine is aging.  I am happy to report that it is stunningly delicious.  The smells are full of lures to suck you right in, plum, chocolate, raspberry and vanilla all blend to make very inviting aromas.  The palate doesn't disappoint as white pepper, raspberry and dark plum dance playfully across the tongue, the fruit is juicy and smooth as the tannins have mellowed and glide effortlessly through the mouth.  I also found there to be a little white chocolate on the finish, coming out most noticeable as the wine remained open in the glass for half an hour or more. I said it before, I'll say it again, delicious.


No comments: