Monday, March 14, 2011

Cono Sur Riesling and Lan Crianza (Chile and Spain)

It has been quite some time between bottles on these pages, mostly because I have had one of those nasty colds that keeps one from enjoying a good bottle of wine ... but while the incessant cough persists the nose and throat seem to be back to normal.  So it was with renewed vigor that I attacked a glass of Cono Sur 2010 Vision Riesling - Single Vineyard (the first 2010 wine in these pages).  I loved this one when I tasted for my Vintages report and now that I own a few bottles I love it even more.  Amazing that a Chilean Riesling could have this much depth and character, not at all what you expect from a hot climate region.  The smells are of lemon, peach and pear, while the palate has a mineral quality that really takes this one to a whole new level, there's also peach and just the right touch of sweetness on the tongue.  From there I moved on to a Bodegas Lan 2006 Crianza, a wine made from 100% Tempranillo.  This was also a delightful wine, but it took a little while to open: lots of black cherry, mocha, coffee, vanilla, herbs and a touch of spice, and finally with a bit of a spiced wood finish.  I think this wine needs a little more time to come aruound; even the bottle claims the wine dips between the 3rd and 4th years before really hitting its stride ... I guess we shall see years to come.


No comments: