Thursday, September 8, 2011

Stone Cellars by Beringer 2000 Cabernet Sauvignon (California)

I'll be honest with you here - as I always try to be - I had no faith in this wine what-so-ever, none at all.  This is a cheapo bottle of California Cabernet Sauvignon from 2000, sure it has the name Beringer on it, but other than that I had no hope for a good drink and even had a younger bottle of Australian hooch on stand-by.  The nose had a teenage smell to it (meaning the wine was not old but it wasn't young either) still with a fair bit of fruit amongst a forest floor nuance.  But the palate really popped, smooth and supple dark berries like blackberry and black cherry seemed to come out with a over-ripe raspberry sensation along with some vanilla and a finish that had a flavoured toothpick quality.  Fantastic wine?  No, but very friendly and very consumable ... I have to hand it to Beringer, even the bottom end stuff stands up.  Cheers.


No comments: