Monday, October 31, 2011

Duckhorn 2008 Decoy (California)

Seems like its been forever since I wrote about a wine I drank for the shear pleasure of it all and not something I was examining to see if it stood the test of time or had it as part of a winemaker`s dinner - it`s the busy season and every night there seems to be another tasting happening.  Anyway, it`s Halloween and it seems only right to have a wine in a disguise ... or at least name after one.  This Duckhorn Decoy is heavy on the Merlot and Cabernet Sauvignon with mere hints of Cabernet Franc and Petit Verdot backing it up.  A pretty sprawling wine with lots going on right from the get go, my notes say `ballsy beginning`and it sure was.  I finally had to decant this wine to bring out the dark fruit, spice and vanilla delicacy within, but all with a nice firm tannic backbone ... very flavourful, dark and ... well, just a good Halloween wine.


No comments: