Friday, September 30, 2011

Josef Chromy 2009 Pepik - Pinot Noir (Australia)

Turns out I have a small collection of Josef Chromy wines, all Pinot Noirs and all Tasmanian, from Australia, what the folks down under proclaim as "true cool climate".  Of the three I have this is the one with the least amount of alcohol (12.5%) while the others have 13 and 14.5.  Pepik is a nickname for Josef in Czech - or so the back of the bottle says ... it also called this wine an "approachable, easy-drinking" wine, and I am apt to agree.  The fruit is forward in this wine with lots of cherry and hints of cranberry on the nose, along with sweet spices and some vanilla.  The palate shows the acidity of this wine first and foremost, then displays really good red fruit flavours, some spice which then leads to a cranberry, raspberry, strawberry finish.  Lovely mouth-feel and good taste, one of the reasons I like the Chromy wines, and why I have quite the collection going on.  Might I suggest you pick up a bottle from the store nearest you and see if you don't agree.  And for you white drinkers, his Chardonnays are pretty good too.


No comments: