Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Simonsig 2001 Cabernet Sauvignon (South Africa)

My aging test with South African wines continue ... as I was logging in yesterday's wine I noticed I had a bottle by the same producer, same year, but a different grape.  Curiosity set in and I wondered how it would fare ... I would have to say it did better than the Syrah did.  The nose was pretty much a simplistic matter - while at first pop there was a little earthy and gritty smell it settled down pretty quickly into pleasant blackberry and vanilla aromas, those seemed to stick around through the length of the evening.  The palate was the thing that changed the most ... at first it was non-descript yet pleasnat, then I started picking out dried blackberry and black pepper.  A little later on vanilla and dried raspberries seem to be the focus, then about an hour and half in there was chocolate plain as day on the finish ... this was one nice drinking wine which I enjoyed very much.


No comments: