Saturday, October 13, 2012

Bogle Vineyards 2005 Old Vines Zinfandel (California)

I'll tell you, when I first got a whiff of this bottle I was scared ... and my first few tastes were tense too.  It's not like I have never been disappointed by a bottle of wine before, but this was a special bottle of Zinfandel I brought to a friend's house as my star bottle of the evening; and it is not good to have your star bottle go down in flames.  It started off kinda murky and muddled with bitter flavours and earthy aromas that were far from pleasant.  Thankfully we moved on to something else to get us through dinner and returned to this afterward - just to see ... the result was a wine that had blossomed in the interim (about an hour or so): plum, chocolate, black cherry all backed with some dried fruit nuances, but always very good, and better with each sip.  Decanting might have made it come around sooner - but it was best to have the surprise of time instead of the quick step of the pour.


No comments: