Thursday, November 29, 2012

Concha y Toro 2006 Trio Red (Chile)

It's on a night like tonight where I start feeling very scared about what's in my wine cellar, especially the stuff in there from 2005 and 2006.  

I find myself having to stay in the city tonight (Toronto) so I am off to visit my parents.  Because mom always enjoys a good bottle of wine I decided to pack one, the above mentioned Concha y Toro 2006 Trio (a blend of Cabernet Sauvignon, Shiraz and Cabernet Franc).  I have loved this wine in the past and have been looking forward to opening it all day.  Upon arrival I peel the capsule off the wine and lo-and-behold staring back at me is my nemesis: the plastic cork.  Undaunted I carry on - thinking that just once I would like a plastic cork not to spoil one of my aged bottles of wine ... could this be that time and could this be that bottle of wine?  Almost. The wine has basically no nose what-so-ever ... and continues this way through my last sip some 30-minutes later.  The palate has hints of fruit upon the first sip and onto the second, but soon loses all sense of fruit and becomes lean, acidic and lacking any kind of interesting character ... in fact it takes a mere 20 minutes to oxidize completely to a point where I can choke but two more sips down before I am forced to give up the good fight and realize I am sipping on a losing cause.  Another wine ruined by the dreaded plastic cork ... sigh. Am I to find these abominations on all my bottles of 2005 and 2006 wines?  I guess we'll know soon enough.

Check out the OntarioWineReview.com website ...
catch up with the latest news and reviews from Ontario
sign-up for the free biweekly newsletter and much more. 

No comments: