Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Marisco Vineyards 2010 Pinot Noir (New Zealand)

Lately I am finding myself drawn more and more to New Zealand Pinots.  At the recent Stem Agency tasting I fell in love once again with a wine from Marisco ... last year it was their King's Wrath Pinot, this year it was just their plain old everyday Pinot.  A buddy of mine, who also attended the tasting, dropped off a few bottles of the wine for me this evening, when I texted to thank him he wrote back, "just having a glass now" ... and so my thought process was, "why should I wait".  I cracked a bottle and poured myself a glass - and the wine is even better than I remembered.  A very pretty nose layered with berries: raspberry, strawberry and cranberry along with hints of dried cherry, cinnamon and spice. The palate is just as enticing and loaded with fruit, spice and black cherry.  The acidity is clean and bright and there is enough toastiness from the wood to enhance the flavours and keep you coming back for more.  It really doesn't get much prettier than this; think I'll be having a couple more glasses before turning in ...


No comments: