Friday, March 8, 2013

Luis Felipe Edwards 2010 Roussanne Gran Reserva (Chile)

It's a beautiful Friday night, time to celebrate the weekend ... we crack a bottle of Henry of Pelham Cuvee Catharie Rose Brut as we sit back with a small tray of California rolls ... they seem to go wonderfully together.  After dinner the need for something else strikes me and my wife says, "surprise me" - I know that if I go for red she'll turn her nose up in a minute, so I locate a white I've been looking forward to drinking ever since I brought it into the house in the early part of the winter.  The Luis Felipe Edwards Gran Reserva Roussanne is not something I expected to find in the Chilean section of the liquor store, nor did I expect it to be any good - but man was this a delicious bottle, and so different from the Rieslings, Chardonnays and Sauvignon Blancs we've been consuming of late.  I would love to say there is a delicacy here but that isn't quite true, it's a wine that accosts the nose and palate, but in a good way.  Herbal, pineapple, poached pear and hints of spice all make an appearance at times and in places - yet it seems to retain good mouth cleansing acidity and a great long finish.  As for the wife, seems like she'll stick to the Rieslings, Chardonnays and Savvy B's, Roussanne was not her glass-of-vino, so I poured for her a Chateau des Charmes 2011 Rose ... and that suited her just fine.


No comments: