Thursday, March 28, 2013

Sobon Estate 2009 Zinfandel - Rocky Top (California)

I erroneously identified this as a 2010 wine yesterday when I posted it along with my drinking vessel on Facebook and Twitter ... yes I am sitting in Raleigh, North Carolina drinking wine from a paper coffee cup - but if you had seen the plastic wine glass they offered me instead you would have gone with the paper as well.  But a good Zin is a good Zin and when it's big enough all it needs is air.  This 14.9% monster is from Amador County, and my buddy Dave always says "you can't go wrong with an Amador Zinfandel" - and I believe that once again he is very right (even paper-cupped).  Nose screams of raspberry, vanilla and red licorice, along with a nice plum backing.  Palate seems to follow along but drops the red licorice for a mix of anise, chocolate, cinnamon, vanilla bean all with a sweet plummy finish ... which is a great trade off.  In some bastardized French "So Bon" would be 'So Good' and I would totally agree here.

 

No comments: