Saturday, July 6, 2013

Masi 2006 Campofiorin (Italy)

Before I even begin I have to come clean, I am a fan of Masi's Campofiorin ... I am also a big fan of well-made Ripasso, hence now you know why I enjoy Campofiorin, still one of the best made in the style.  This one is from a Masi-declared 5-star vintage, of which their have been very few, I believe it's something like five over the past 80 years (checking back with my notes on the subject it's 8 since 1942).  I have been sitting on this bottle for probably the last 4 years and still have a few more in my cellar so I can watch the development of this wine.  Tonight we had my brother and his family over for dinner and after some aperitifs of Rose and Sauvignon Blanc I BBQed up some sausages and had to find a wine that would go.  Now it's 30 degrees in the shade (that's ~ 90F) on this lovely Saturday and the thought of a hot and heavy red did not seem like a good plan ... but this wine fridge dweller seemed like it just might do the trick.  The wine was silky with enough acidity and tannins to keep it on pace with the smokiness and flavour profile of an array sausages (honey mustard, cheese and onion, medium, etc).  The fruit was also very nice with cherry and plum taking center stage followed up by spices and some smoky character; all finished off with a lovely bit of chocolate.  This wine stood up extremely well and still has plenty of life left in it, in fact it barely showed any of its 7 year age.  I can't wait to open my next bottle, which could be in a few months or in a few years, but I have no doubt that it will be another exciting and tasty experience with Masi.


2 comments:

wino-fred said...

How long would you keep an Amarone or Ripasso-style of wine?

wino-fred said...

The reason I'm asking is that I have 1 1997 and a 2000 Amarone in my cellar and was wondering whether I should be drinking it now.